Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Healing Touch

I lie curled in a fetal position in the dim light of the bedroom. My whole body aches; my head pounds. I try to rest.

Slowly, the door opens He step to my bedside and softly asks, "How are you doing?"

I mumble, "Not too well."

He touches my arm and helps me sit up. I rise to stand on legs I fear won't hold me. He pulls me toward him then wraps me in his arms. His hug is warm and comforting. I lean in to inhale the smell of them. There it is -- the familiar lingering smell of diesel, a hint of sweat and wintergreen. He just got home from a hard week on the road.

As we stand there, he begins to rub my back. I sigh and melt into him a little more. He runs scarred fingers through my hair. He places work calloused hands on my face. I look up at him and smile. He kisses my forehead, his lips brushing my skin soft as a feather. He steps back and I lie down again.

The pain is gone from my body. My head eased, I drift into sleep. When I wake, I go in search of him.

As I get ready for bed that night, I reflect on the day. I'm thankful for his healing touch and I am reminded of God.

I think of God searching me out when the wounds and cares of life send me whimpering. He lovingly holds me close until I no longer ache. He wraps caring arms around me, holds me gently and gives me rest. All He requires of me is to lean on Him and receive His healing touch.

No comments: