Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Merry Christmas, 2013

Christmas Day, 2013 is about over.

The sun has set and dark is deepening. Temperatures are falling and the drip, drip, dripping of melting ice has ceased for now.

The children are winding down ~~ just a little ~~ as they enjoy the cousins and play with new toys. Soon they will tire and will be ready for bed. They won't want to go, of course, but mommas everywhere will insist it is time and tuck them snugly into bed.

The quiet here today broken only by telephone rings and message alerts with Merry Christmas!! from the other end.

Did I celebrate the birth? Did I praise and worship? Did I pause in awe at the miraculous gift given? I'm afraid I didn't give deep contemplation or gratitude for the great and awesome love God showed by sending His son to earth. I didn't ruminate on His message or mission. I kind of skimmed over it while cooking and doing the regular things of the day.

Every year, at this season, I think I will center more on the Christ Child. I will love more. I will give more. I will praise more. I will tell the story more. Yet each year, the day closes and I have missed the mark. I am a little off center.

This is my penance. To confess my failings to you. To ask forgiveness again for my "good intentions" that never seem to fully materialize.

So. I begin again. Each day my goal to spend time with the Word and in the Word. Each day to focus on the miraculous fact that Jesus loves me; to concentrate and praise the Awesome Holy God and give thanks each moment as I practice living in His presence. Maybe then I will keep Christmas Season holy. If I keep Christmas in my heart throughout the year.

Merry Christmas! And may you recognize God's blessings as they rain down on you each day in the New Year.

No comments: