Monday, October 28, 2013

What do I See?



I've been watching from my window. What do I see?


I see small boys jumping on a trampoline. I see smiling faces and hear laughter. Shouts, full of childish joy, fill the air. I see the black cloth stretch with each step and bounce. I see the silver steel sparkle as the leaves blow and let the sun reflect, however briefly.



I see Momma and Daddy laughing with boys. I see her sharp intake of breath with the Young One falls. He's so light he can't stand when the Brother walks across the net-like surface.


I see those boys run circles, fall and roll. I see them jump up laughing and try again.


I see the Brother, later in the day, look with longing out the window and hear him ask if he can go play again. But, it is supper time and getting darker and colder. So the answer must be no. But maybe tomorrow. I see disappointment flash across his face.


I see the smile quickly fade as a frown and quivering lip take its place.


I see me in that face. 

I see me wanting what I want, when I want it. Not satisfied to wait for a better time. Not trusting my Father to know what is best for me. 


I see my lip quiver. I see me plant my feet and prepare to argue, maybe even cry and plead to get what I want, when I want.

I see me as a child again, resisting the "No." Will I ever learn? Will I ever just say, "Yes, Father. Whatever you say ."?


I see me watch the eastern sky, waiting for Christ's return. I wait impatiently. Expectantly. Hopefully.


I see (at least, I hope someday to see) Jesus split the sky and come back to this earth. Then, oh then,  I see every knee bow to his Lordship. And I see me rising to meet him.


Oh, glorious day!!

No comments: