Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Who I Am

Who am I? That sounds like a simple question, but the answer is not simple. I am a complex being so when I’m asked this question, I feel I am a confused child in a grown up body. One would think that by my age and with my experience, I would have some idea of who I am. But, putting that essence of me into words that aptly describe the real me seems a daunting task.

I know that I am more that what I do: accounting, house work, volunteering or writing. These are merely outward symbols of me. I enjoy most of these symbols. I feel useful and necessary when I do them, even though almost anyone could do what I do.

I know, too, that the different hats that I wear are not the complete, real me either.

I am a wife, mother, and grandmother. I am an ever-learning student and I find the world and the people in it fascinating. I am the caretaker of our home. I am our family historian. These things combine to define my place in my family.

However, all of these are not the real me. I am a three-part woman comprised of body, mind and spirit.

The body grows older day by day. It no longer looks as it looked when I was young. It weakens and fails and will someday cease to function. When it does, others will call it death although I think of it as sleep.

My mind, too, ages. It seems to age more slowly than my body and feels much younger than my years. My mind is still capable of rational thought and I have attained a certain degree of wisdom by learning from my mistakes. (At least my children seem to think I have.) Someday the mind, too, will cease to function in this world and I will no longer have the ability to communicate with those around me.

My spirit, therefore, must contain the essence of me for my spirit lives forever. My spirit invited Jesus to come and dwell with me. He came and the Holy Spirit abides in me and I abide in Him. Because of this, I will live when my body and mind cease. Soul and Spirit have peace and joy in the hope of eternity with God.

So, who I am is simple after all. I am an eternal spirit captured for a short time in this mortal body. I am a child of God, created in His image to fellowship with Him. I am a disciple learning of my Master. I am heir to my Father’s kingdom. I am a woman of faith.

I am Karen and I am unique in all the universe.

No comments: