Friday, July 25, 2008

What Will I See

Rain falls again today. No angry storms, only gentle drops to refresh the earth. Tomorrow the sun will shine again.

Flowers drink thirstily. Their leaves shine through the washing drops. Birds and insects retreat until the shower abates and then rush to find food for themselvess and their young.

Clouds hang low in the sky. Shades of gray, they block the sun for now. Heavy with life-giving moisture, they drip to the earth. God's design shows in the beauty of the shifting light.

Water rolls down the roof of my house into gutters and onto the soaked ground. From there, it flows down the hill to the creek and joins countless drops on a journey to the sea.

I cannot follow those drops. They are a world to themselves. My world of family and obligations tethers me to this spot. What wonders would I see if I flowed with the water?

What wonders will I see from my vantage place here? Will I seee Jesus? Will I recognize His hand at work? Will I hear His voice directing my path?

What do you see?

1 comment:

Kathryn Maberry said...

Right now, through my window, I see the fading light of day, that hazy time of sunset that is always flattering and gentle in a photograph.

Thanks, Karen, for your artful, poignant words. I like to say poignant, don't you? (smile)