Sunday, August 16, 2009

Driving Time

Last Sunday night I met my son in Mansfield. I picked up my almost 14-year-old grand-daughter from her mother's and delivered her to her dad. No one asked me to do this; I offered.

I haven't spent as much time as I might have liked with my grand-daughters this summer. My part-time, work from home job is taking up W-a-a-ay too much of my play time. So, I took this beautiful summer evening to enjoy her company.

We drove about an hour and talked as she flipped through radio stations. As she listened about 3 seconds to each station, she filled me in on her summer. Or, she would exclaim, "That's my favorite song!" and turn the sound up as loud as I could stand. She sang along and chair danced, her face shining with smiles. I laughed with her and marveled at her happy abandonment.

After we talked with her dad, step-mom-to-be, and sister and I got hugs & kisses from everyone, I started back home. The radio still sang in my ears but stayed on one station and the speakers no longer rattled the windows. Even with the music, though, my truck seemed empty and lonesome. Soon enough, I won't need to drive for her.

Driving together means Family Time for us. The closeness of the car invites intimate conversations. We discuss anything and everything as we drive. Our family has always done this. It doesn't matter if it is a long drive or a shorter one, riding in the car is the time for discussion; the time for revealing secrets. We talk about why we are moving, what friends are doing, what homework needs to be done, the Bible lesson at church, hopes & dreams, goals & plans. It is the time for questions and answers.

These days, those conversations are few and far between. Both my sons are grown and have been driving themselves for a long time. Now they drive their own families and have their own conversations. This is as it should be. It makes the times we drive together all the sweeter and more precious to my heart.


I wonder: Will the conversation be as sweet when I am old and some one is driving me to where ever it is we are going?

No comments: