Saturday, August 15, 2009

Anniversary Thoughts

August 7, 2009 marked 38 years since I walked down the church aisle and joined my life to another. I gave myself to him; we two became one.


We argued (a lot!) in those first few years as we adjusted to each other and learned how to fit together. But, we also laughed (a lot more!). We spent as much time as possible with each other and simply enjoyed being together.


We had children. Those years brought a house full of children: our own, friends, family. A home full of noisy laughter. Our sons grew into men; sure evidence of time passing.


The house grew quiet again. We spent time together and enjoyed our empty nest.


Grandchildren arrived. No longer babies now, but young teens who delight us with all they do. They allow us to be an important part of their lives and give us the opportunity to share what wisdom and knowledge we have accumulated over the years. Grandchildren are a wonderful gift. They give much more to us as grandparents than seems possible.


I don't know why I am surprised each year that we have been married so long; we vowed to be together until death parted us. I guess I'm more surprised at how much time has actually passed. In many ways it doesn't feel like 38 years but I can barely recall life before marriage.


We've been married all my life. He is still my best friend. I trust him completely.


The years have brought many challenges: life style adjustments, children, extended family, jobs and more. Through it all, our faith in Christ has been the glue that bound us. I've matured as a woman, grown as a Christian, watched in wonder as God worked in and through my husband, saw my children and then my grandchildren give their hears to the Lord. Blessing upon blessing.



God has been with us every step of the way. Going before us to prepare the way. Holding our hands as we search to stay in the way.


I may wonder what life will bring in the coming years, but I know God will always be there.

2 comments:

Rebecca A Emrich said...

Karen,

I have a bit of a surprise for you on my blog, I hope you enjoy it, and my little sense of humor!

Karen Guthrie said...

First, I must apologize for not moderating comments sooner. I have not been my usual self lately plus being extremely busy. It's a sad state of affairs when I let my writing go.
Second, Thank you for the Award! How nice to know someone thinks what I have to say is good, enjoyable & uplifting. I appreciate you saying you like my writing. It always makes my day to get compliments, but I have to say that my writing is a gift from the Lord. One I have only recently found and don't know yet where He is taking me with it. Thank you again and to God be the Glory.