Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My New Office

Ten days ago, my husband helped me move furniture. We emptied a small bedroom and created an office for me. Now, I have all the paper work for our growing trucking business out of my living room and a place to store all of it. This is also my writing space; a space to be alone when I need to create.

If I stand in the door to my office, I see the care my husband took to make this small space just right for me. His efforts to please me, to make it comfortable for me and just as I wanted show in his setting the computer and printer/fax in easy reach (with no tangled cords!), the chair just so, the filing cabinets spaced along one wall and the shelves he brought in for my books.

My space has a window and from my desk I can see the trees. If I move to my reading chair, I can see the back yard and more trees. Yesterday, I sat in my chair and stared out the window just to see what I might see.

I watched a rabbit peer across the yard and then run circles around a tree, under a trailer, out into the grass and then back into the brush. He seemed to be playing a secret game and that brought a smile to my lips.

Then i noticed a bright red blur as a male cardinal landed on the nearest oak tree. He perched for just a couple of heartbeats then was off again. He was a spot of joy on an otherwise dreary day.

The sun began to shine. The trees quit dripping from the rain that fell the last four days. As the clouds cleared, so did my mood. I no longer felt gray and overcast. Blue sky erased my frown.

Because our woods are full of oak and hickory trees, we have squirrels everywhere. I saw one dash across a grassy space then jump up the closest tree, stopping to taste acorns and hickory nuts along the way. He sat to nibble one but, ever on the alert, he watched warily for the dogs or other predators. I could tell because he was always looking this way and that, tail twitching, ready for a quick escape if startled.

Everywhere I look I see God's goodness. He has given me a husband who encourages me, cares what I think and does his best to give me what I desire because he loves me. God gave me a view from my window that reveals His creation in all its many variations. I am truly blessed.

No comments: