Monday, September 7, 2009

On Reading

I have loved reading as long as I can remember. Books have always been a part of my life. A good book brings escape from problems in my life. I can never be bored as long as I have access to books.

Opening a new book introduces me to new people and places. My imagination wraps around the words. I learn of possibilities. I see that families are intact and functional, daddies love their daughters, God cares for man, friends can last a lifetime, homes can be built, roots put down, jobs can have meaning and marriages are full of love and caring. Or a different set of words can show all the horrors of war and poverty and how truly awful humans can become.

Books present knowledge: science, history, instruction. How can one not love to read? When I'm in a hurry magazines are a quick read, filling moments of waiting or providing useful information. A devotional book can open my eyes to a different aspect of God's truth and give me hope.

I love the feel of books. I love the weight of them in my hand, the smooth covers and the crisp pages. I love the sight of print on paper. The soft white pages and black letters contrast to bring words to fire my imagination.

I love reading letters from family and friends. Seeing my name on an envelope then quickly glancing to the return address brings a smile to lips and heart. I love to open an envelope and pull a card or letter from inside. I love to see what someone has chosen to share. Cards show they thought of me and a written message from their heart to mine gives me joy. I love to read of distant events and news from family.

Words and images linger far longer than spoken words. Written down, I can go back and revisit the pages again and again. I can relive the moments more than once. Memories fade; the written word endures.

I love reading for all the ways it gives me pleasure and brings me joy.

No comments: